Improvements at Tide Views Preserve have some Atlantic Beach residents asking questions after contractors were permitted to remain on site overnight in a construction trailer near the park’s entrance.
Some residents expressed concern that the decision, which violates the city’s “no camping” ordinance, was made without community input or approval of the City Commission.
“This camping on public property is strictly prohibited by city ordinance, and at least one commissioner had no idea this had been approved,” Dawn Scott said. “Apparently someone at [the city of Atlantic Beach] gave permission for these people to violate our ordinance and the commission never voted for it or even heard about it.”
Atlantic Beach Police Officer B.J. Cassidy said the contractors remained on-site to improve efficiency.
“These are not campers. These are the contractors redoing the pier construction at Tide Views,” said Cassidy in a since-deleted social media post. “They were [going to] be out there for a long time. Therefore, they’re staying in a camper on site to be more productive working.”
Scott said she was concerned about the lack of transparency between the commissioners and the residents who live adjacent to the project site. She said she contacted each commissioner, City Manager Bill Killingsworth and city staff, but did not receive any response.
“This would never have been approved if this project was in Johansen Park or the lifeguard station,” she said. “This is a company with a downtown office. They are not out-of-towners. This living on site is not necessary for ‘productive work.’”
Scott also questioned whether the city was providing water, garbage and electricity to the trailer.
“Where are they dumping the black water?” she asked.
Deputy City Manager Kevin Hogencamp addressed the situation Dec. 17, saying that repeated theft of construction materials prompted the city to allow the contractors to remain on site as a preventative measure.
“After reporting that property had been taken from a job site on more than one occasion, the contractor for our Dutton Island, Tide Views Preserve, and 18th Street beach walkover reconstruction and maintenance projects was permitted to set up accommodations to provide overnight security,” he said.
Hogencamp said he anticipated the final of the three projects to be completed – and for the contractor to no longer be on site overnight – as of Dec. 18. He did not respond to questions regarding the approval or whether the situation violated city ordinance.
Atlantic Beach residents concerned over contractors 'camping' at Tide Views Preserve
By
Liza Mitchell, Staff Writer